Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: I will bet someone on Clinton's panel $1000 that date changes do not affect packet forwarding in any substantial part of the Internet

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:34:22 -0400

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:05:33 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: I will bet someone on Clinton's panel $1000 that date changes
  do not affect packet forwarding in any substantial part of the Internet

Dave -  you may post this on IP.  Subject to appropriate terms, I will make
this bet.  Perhaps you would like to hold the money.

The category error that causes people to equate "noncompliant" (which means
that a legal review has not occurred) with "will probably fail" is an
example of the poor (and frequently self serving) logic that passes for.

The idea that there is an substantive analysis AT ALL behind this press
conference is suspect.

No doubt there will be some failures.  But internet packet forwarding has
almost nothing to do with dates, and date failures have not been shown to
lead to computer crashes, though they often affect data.

- David
WWW Page: http://www.reed.com/dpr.html