Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Navigator, IE, & RSApkc-based SSL

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 14:22:59 -0500

To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: Vin McLellan <vin () shore net>

[A bit of  SSL/TLS history that may be of interest to IP.  Regards,  _Vin]

----------------------------

To: Tom Weinstein <tomw () geocast com>
From: Vin McLellan <vin () shore net>
Subject: Navigator, IE & RSApck-based SSL
Cc: openssl-users () openssl org,  cypherpunks () algebra com
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:56:46 -0500
Sender: owner-openssl-users () openssl org

       Nicolas Roumiantzeff <nicolasr () esker fr> asked:

Does anybody know why both IE and Netscape browser implement
exclusively  RSA certificates?

My feeling is that Microsoft and Netscape both made a deal with RSA
Security to get a "low" price RSA license at the condition of not
implementing DSA.

        Tom Weinstein <tomw () geocast com>,  Netscape cryptographer in a
previous life, replied:

As a matter of fact, Netscape does support DSA certs, but I never had a
chance to implement DH key exchanges.  The only reason I didn't implement
it was lack of time.  Every time we did schedules, I'd put it on the list;
every
time, it would get knocked off the bottom by something else.  The bottom
line
is that there were no customers busting down our doors screaming that they
needed DH, so we didn't do it.

        Maybe you could also comment on the original choice of RSApkc for
key exchange in the original SSL ciphersuite, Tom?  Paul? There are a lot of
conspiratorial stories  (Can you believe that?!) which circulate about
RSADSI's nefarious Imperial schemes to rule the world, and how Netscape and
SSL were Jim Bidzos' bloody sword and shield;-)

        My recollection is that a startup like Netscape in 1993, '94, or
even '95, would have been foolish to go with anything other than RSApkc for
key exchange.  Do you agree?

        People forget how different the cryptographic landscape looked then
-- and how much of the environment for such a choice was shaped by the huge
background struggle between the crypto vendors and corporate OEMs, on one
hand, and the American NSA, which had a full-court campaign underway block
the widespread adoption of  RSApkc and other un-GAKed crypto.

        As I recall, when the Netscape team was designing SSL, the
NSA-designed DSA was  still the subject of considerable controversy, some
suspicion, and a great deal of market confusion.  The El Gamal signature
option for D-H was then little known, and whether Stanford's D-H patents
covered El Gamal (a Cylink contention, then and later) was still a subject
of heated debate.

        Since both RSApkc and D-H/XX were patented, of course, so neither
offered a ready escape from crypto IP and royalties demands.

        [NSA was full-bore into its campaign to block the widespread
adoption of RSApkc.   The NSA envisioned that its own PKI -- with its own
KEA algorithm for key agreement; DSA for digital sigs; and Skipjack for
symmetric crypt0 (all packaged in Capstone-based GAKed Fortezza) -- would
preempt PKI demand in both the government market and the private sector.  US
federal volume purchasing was expected to define or redefine the PKI market.]

        [I've often thought that if the NSA had not so misjudged the
potential of WWW, Netscape, smartcards, and e-commerce (not to mention that
spook bureaucrats were painfully inept at marketing and forgetful of such
industrial-grade basics like field support, for all their power and
influence within the D.C. beltway) -- many more of us Yanks would be
carrying Fortezza PCMCIA cards today.  Over the past 15 years, the NSA has
several times been right at the brink of getting control over US private
sector crypto and even private-sector network security en toto.  The curious
might research the furor around Reagan's NSDD-145 proclamation some time;-]

        RSApkc was anathama to the Mandarin spooks of the NSA,  largely
because RSApkc integrates encryption and digital signature capabilities --
so the NSA could not  restrict encryption, per se, while permitting the free
distribution of PKC-based authentication and integrity services.  For damn
near a decade, RSADSI fought a bitter guerrilla war against the federal
effort to standardize the NSA-funded  DSA, and channel the American PKI
market into the NSA's D-H-like KEA and Fortezza.

        [In one notable strategic ploy -- the source of many of those
conspiratorial rumors, perhaps -- RSADSI got control of the German Schoor
patents on digital signature techniques.  In the crypto politics of the day,
the Schoor patents offered just enough of a timely patent-infringement
threat to the DSS to help many big  American OEMs and financial services
firms to resist pressure from the NSA to switch from the RSA technology,
which many had already invested in, to the DSS and the NSA's Fortezza
infrastructure.]

        When Netscape trio was working on v.1 of SSL, of course, RSADSI and
Cylink (which controlled the Stanford patents, including Diffie-Hellman)
were still in an uneasy alliance for joint licensing.  Even if Netscape was
making its SSL design choice a couple of years later, after the Public Key
Partnership broke up, I suspect the marketing strategies of RSADSI and
Cylink  -- respective banner-bearers for the two leading PKC schemes --
would have still left Netscape with a clear choice.

        While RSADSI  bet on software crypto and was widely promoting its
BSAFE developers' toolkit, Cylink had instead focused on hardware crypto and
the government market.  One type of expertise scaled into the zeitgeist
Netscape dreamed of for SSL.  The other did not.  (Which is not to even
mention the relative efficiency of RSApkc for key or cert verification.)

        For MS, when it sometime later turned on a proverbial dime to focus
on the Net and Netscape, it was probably an even easier decision to stay
with RSApkc and not load IE with D-H_DSS or alternatives.  Redmond had
already purchased full rights to use RSApkc and the sundry RC ciphers, and
MS wanted the early IE to look just like Netscape's Navigator/Communicator;-)

        RSADSI's management also recognized the potential of the Web early,
and more clearly than many others.   RSADSI, which was then still a hungry,
small, $10M/yr. crypto lab and and IP licensing firm -- not known for
passing up cash on the table -- offered Netscape full no-royalty access to
its public key and symmetric crypto in exchange for one percent of
Netscape's equity.   (I think RSADSI also bet on SSL's then-strong
competitor, S-HTTP, with a major investment in Terisa, now part of Spyrus.)

        For a startup like Netscape, I presume the no-cash offer was
attractive, maybe even irresistable... even if all the other factors had not
lined up to tilt the SSL design team toward RSApkc.  This is all off the top
of my head, but I think it is relatively accurate.  Comments and corrections
from those directly involved in these events, or anyone else, would be very
welcome.

        Surete,
                        _Vin

Automated List Manager                           majordomo () openssl org

---------------------------------------

CC: openssl-users () openssl org,  cypherpunks () algebra com
Subject: Re: Navigator, IE & RSApck-based SSL

Vin McLellan wrote:

[...]

I wasn't at Netscape at the time that SSL 1.0 and 2.0 were written, so my
information for that period is not eyewitness testimony.  Be warned. :-)

I think there were two major factors that motivated the choice of RSA.  First
BSAFE was existing code that could just be used.  In a startup, it's very
important that you not waste time reinventing wheels that you can buy off the
shelf.  Finally, the most popular piece of crypto software at the time was
PGP,
which also used RSA.

--
What is appropriate for the master is not appropriate| Tom Weinstein
for the novice.  You must understand Tao before      | tomw () geocast com