Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a different opinion more on : Louis Freeh -- encryption

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:19:35 -0500

From: John Pescatore <John.Pescatore () entrust com>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Hi, Dave - I've got to make an unpopular comment on this never-ending
debate:

I've had an odd career. I went to work for NSA right out of college and
after a few years transferred to the US Secret Service where I was involved
in surveillances in counterfeiting investigations. For the past 15 years
I've worked in private industry, building secure systems and working for
commercial vendors of firewalls and Public Key Encryption technology. I've
seen the four corners of the encryption debate: business need for
cryptography, vendors desire to sell crypto, the intelligence community need
to eavesdrop, and the importance of wiretaps and wireless surveillance to
domestic law enforcement.

While I believe export controls on crypto don't work and should be gradually
abolished (faster than is currently happening) for folks like Jim Warren I
have a simple question: should Radio Shack be allowed to sell scanners that
can receive on the cellular phone frequencies? After all, the Electronics
Communications Privacy Act only prevents innocent and law abiding citizens
from snooping on their neighbors - vile terrorists, dope smugglers and
motivated stalkers can easily snip a diode or two and listen in to
everything.

Most criminals are only capable using technology they can buy at the local
radio or computer store - popular fiction not withstanding, there aren't a
lot of Dr. Nos out there with large laboratories full of technology that the
DoD would envy. Export controls don't work but we as a society have decided
we do want law enforcement to be able to put away criminals before they
commit crimes. Some of the proposed legislation (like SAFE) is probably
going in the right direction. Demonizing Louis Freeh is fun but - as with
most low hanging fruit - not terribly productive.

Even more important to the privacy debate is why we are focusing on
cryptography and almost totally ignoring how backward the United States is
in protecting citizens' data rights.

At a symposium at George Washington University I asked Marc Rotenberg of
EPIC why all the various privacy organizations were so focused on crypto,
which in reality is mainly a business issue , and almost completely ignoring
data privacy, which protects citizens and controls business use of personal
data. His only answer was that the government's effort to push the Clipper
key escrow approach had galvanized privacy advocates and they hadn't moved
on since the demise of Clipper. It is time to move on.

John Pescatore
johnp () entrust com