Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Stop the madness!.com

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:08:57 -0500

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:40:10 -0800 (PST)
From: John Wharton <jwharton () netcom com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Stop the madness!.com

Dave--

Okay, so a few years back corporate URLs started showing up in print
ads.  Next they began appearing on cereal boxes and packaging materials,
more recently, on television ads.  Practically every ad during last
month's Superbowl showed the sponsor's URL at the end; I guess that was
meant to imply the sponsor was technologically-savvy -- if not a true
"Internet Company".  Indeed, some Superbowl ads seemed to promote
nothing **BUT** a URL.

But this is too much.  Here in the Bay Area the Anderson Honda/Isuzu car
dealership chain has begun running radio ads that advise listeners --
over and over -- to contact them at "1-800-ANDERSON.COM".  That's right;
"One, Eight-Hundred, Anderson-Dot-Com".  (I'm not making this up.)

Never mind that "ANDERSON" alone is already longer than needed for a
7-digit phone number.  (Dialing 1-800-263-3776 does indeed connect you
to the Anderson chain of automobile "superstores".)  And never mind
that telephone numbers have nothing to do with internet domain names.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to dial the "dot".

  --john wharton