Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Asset forfeitures - piracy (fwd)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 20:53:11 -0400

From: shapj () us ibm com
To: farber () cis upenn edu

I am struck by three simple and obvious counterbalances that do not appear to be
under consideration:

The first is a law mandating the prompt (90 days or less) return of property
deemed to be seized from innocent parties.  That is, if law enforcement preempts
due process by seizure, they should be prepared to immediately demonstrate
guilt.

The second is a law mandating that when property is jointly held by an innocent
party and a suspect, the innocent party should receive proportional
compensation.  I am mindful of the loss of house and home experienced by
innocent spouses.

The third is a requirement that property returned following seizure should be
accompanied by compensatory interest at somewhere between 2% and 5% *per day*,
or alternatively that the seizing agency should be required to pay damages under
the usual 3x rule within 90 days.

The problem is not that property is being seized.  The problem is that due
process is being evaded and there is no accountability for error.  If a law
enforcement agency had to pay for its mistakes, the incentive system would
ensure that seizure occurred only under suitable certainty.

Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph. D.
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Email: shapj () us ibm com
Phone: +1 914 784 7085  (Tieline: 863)