Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Sorry for the flood but catching up --Cypress' TJ Rodgers to Congress: Eliminate corporate welfare

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 10:03:21 -0400

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 13:02:28 -0400
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

[But of course they won't listen. I got this in MS Word format from Rodgers'
staff and converted it to text. For space reasons I am not attaching the
appendices. This was presented in written form yesterday; Rodgers did not
testify in person. --Declan]

U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

COMMITTEE ON THE BUDGET

June 30, 1999

ELIMINATE CORPORATE WELFARE

WRITTEN STATEMENT OF T.J. RODGERS

PRESIDENT AND CEO

CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORPORATION

SAN JOSE, CA 95134-1599
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

§       The list of unproductiveand sometimes even ludicrous^Óinvestments in
governmentindustry partnerships,^Ô unnecessary subsidies and outright gifts to
America's corporations by our government, is long, shameful, and very well
documented. (Appendix A contains a description of wasteful technology
subsidies
and a statement of 78 Silicon Valley executives calling for an end to
corporate
subsidies.)
§       What^Òs lacking is not another regurgitation of the evils of corporate
welfare, but a Congress and president with the courage to do something about
it.
§       Stereotypes of our political parties would lead one to believe that
corporate welfare is the darling of Republicans, and under attack by
Democrats.
But, my direct experience in testifying on corporate welfare before the House
of Representatives and Senate on five occasions over a 10year period is that
Democrats and Republicans are equally to blame for the shameful corporate
giveaways. (On one occasion, I was personally attacked by Rep. Herbert Klein,
DN.J., and was so offended that I offered to fly at my expense to New Jersey
during the next election to campaign on behalf of his opponent: ^ÓNew Jersey
voters, I am a Silicon Valley CEO who says ^Ñno^Ò to corporate welfare, but your
congressman insists on taxing you and sending your money to Silicon Valley.^Ô)
§       Most Silicon Valley chief executive officers are deadset against
corporate welfare, even if it means their companies would lose government
funds. (In the same congressional session in which Rep. Klein impugned my
integrity and motives, Silicon Valley Rep. Anna Eshoo, DCalif.,
condescendingly
told the committee that she was more in touch with the desires of Silicon
Valley companies than I, and that Silicon Valley did want government funding.
Consequently, on my fifth trip to Congress, I took only one day to gather the
signatures of 78 Silicon Valley CEOs on a statement declaring unequivocally
that they did not want corporate welfare.)
§       I am the vicechairman of the Semiconductor Industry Association, which
represents the vast majority of silicon production capability in the United
States. The SIA is on record opposing government subsidies for the
semiconductor industry.
§       Corporate welfare persists because many companies outside the
semiconductor business, unlike most Silicon Valley companies, make a handsome
living at the taxpayers expense. For example, General Electric is a large
recipient of corporate welfare, and its CEO, Jack Welch, refused to sign our
petition to Congress to end corporate welfare.
§       Archer Daniels Midland of Iowa rakes in approximately $400million a
year
in government subsidies of different types and earmarks part of that money for
political activities focused on keeping its government funding. ADM is a big
campaign contributor and a heavy funder of Sunday morning political television
programs. One reason Congress has chosen consistently not to act on corporate
welfare is that the states and the congressmen that represent them benefit
from
it. The situation is very similar to the scattering of military bases (and
expenditures) around the country not for strategic, but for political reasons.
§       Much of the corporate welfare these days comes under the ^Ótechnology^Ô
heading. Trendy politicians for example, have taken on the Internet as a
second
deity. Many, if not most, government technology giveaways are unproductive or
even wasteful. (See Appendix A for the story about semiconductor wafers grown
in space at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars with no conceivable
benefit to our industry. Or check the Advanced Technology Program (ATP)
proposal to request government funds for a project to reengineer cotton fibers
to make them more like polyester.)
§       The unfortunate aspect of wasteful government technology largess is
that
it is currently drying up funding for the worthy cause of teaching hard
science
at our universities. At the same time the government is putting porkbarrel
money into dubious corporate projects, we have a critical shortage of
engineers
and scientists so bad that it threatens hightechnology growth. To alleviate
this problem in Silicon Valley, Stanford University is currently trying to
raise $300 million to create funded scholarships for science and engineering
graduate students. Although Stanford certainly would not agree, I think their
potential loss of government funding will be ultimately beneficial: In the
long
run, it will free the university system from government curriculum dictates.
§       In general, I believe that Silicon Valley has created its wealth and
miracles precisely because its chief executives refuse to engage in the
competition for porkbarrel funding and rarely engage in timeconsuming
political
activities. We watch after our businesses, and value winning in the
marketplace
over using the force of government (subsidies, tariffs, quotas, antitrust
activities, etc.) to beat our competition. The current Microsoft antitrust
litigation is an unfortunate and rare counterexample. See Appendix B for a
detailed description of the diametrically opposed philosophies driving Silicon
Valley and Washington.)
§       Over the last 10 years, I have traveled at my company^Òs expense on
five
occasions to testify before either the House of Representatives or the Senate
on the wastefulness, destructiveness, and unfairness of the corporate welfare
system. I have not been well received. After I prepared for hours and
travelled
for a day to testify, Sen. Howard Metzenbaum, DOhio, arbitrarily cut my
testimony to three minutes. At the same hearing, the only other committee
member present, Sen. Patrick Leahy, DVt., didn^Òt seem to appreciate my message
against Sematech, a chip industry giveaway he supported; he did not greet me,
thank me for my testimony, or even look up once from his reading material
during my testimony. I gave my last two presentations on corporate welfare
to a
nearly empty room with only one committee member in attendance.
Consequently, I
now believe that I am an actor in a play that waxes eloquent about cutting
corporate welfare but has no last act.
§       If this committee is serious about eliminating corporate welfare, what
to do is strikingly simple: put all porkbarrel projects in a single package
and
have a vote, yea or nay, to eliminate corporate welfare across the board, once
and for all. It^Òs that simpleand that hard.

L1412tjr.doc