Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a visit to Yerba Buena Gardens in San Fran

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:01:37 -0400

Yesterday we went to the new addition to the Moscone Center. It is claimed to have a collection of , 15 some odd of the
highest technology movie theaters.  What I found interesting was three hings:

1. The Long Life Noodle restaurant with real good oriental noodle dishes and even boiled soy beans -- a Tokyo treat.
Long lines but good food

2. The Sony store -- a lot like the one in NYC but much larger. Real good collection of CDs and Sony gadgets but no
NT-1 s. Knowledgeable staff

3 The "highlight" was the worlds first Microsoft store. Endless not all that interesting gadgets and notions and lots
of MS software for sale. The staff was mixed in their knowledge of the gear and a lot of the computers had crashed .
Seems to me a big seller would have been a dart board of Chairman Bill  (wonder if his sense of humor would tolerate
that).

One of the more interesting observations was that all the Sony staff were dressed in black and all the MS staff in
white (no cowboy hats).

There was also the grandaddy of pay per play video game room. Endless kids playing. Reminds me of Tron.

Bottom line worth a visit but for real fun go ride the merry-go-round that is in the center. Lots of fun.

Dave

next report from Singapore where I will restart my Singapore Diary

Dave