Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: One more in full, last one Massive e-mail virus outbreak spreads like wildfire (InfoWorld)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 15:49:17 -0500

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 20:10:55 +0200 (EET)
From: Mahou Shoujo Pixy Misa <waste () zor hut fi>
To: cypherpunks () toad com

Hey, could someone make a version what would scan the computer
for documents with keywords like 'secret' or 'confidential' and
e-mail them for the world?

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?990326.wcvirus.htm

  Massive e-mail virus outbreak spreads like wildfire
  By Dan Briody
  InfoWorld Electric

  Posted at 4:43 PM PT, Mar 26, 1999
  A crippling and embarrassing virus has spent the day marauding
  countless e-mail inboxes around the world, replicating itself to
  end-user address books and sending an exhaustive list of pornographic
  Web sites to everyone therein.

  Dubbed the "Melissa" virus, the culprit has hampered -- and in some
  cases entirely shut down -- e-mail systems for companies the world
  over. For example, Microsoft has put a halt to all outgoing e-mails
  throughout the company.

  "Some users at Microsoft received an e-mail that contained a Word
  document that has attached to it a macro virus," said Andrew Dixon,
  group product manager for Office at Microsoft. "If that document is
  opened and the macro virus is allowed to run, it is possible [for the
  virus] to send e-mail to a number of other users."

  Dixon said that Friday afternoon, Microsoft "temporarily turned off
  outgoing e-mail" company-wide to guard against spreading the virus.
  Dixon said he did not know how many Microsoft employees received the
  marco virus, or how many may have triggered it

  At risk are Microsoft Exchange Servers running Microsoft Outlook. With
  an ever-changing subject heading of "Important Message From [end-user
  name], the attachment to the e-mail is a document entitled "list.doc"
  with a body of text reading "Here is that document you asked for ...
  don't show anyone else ;-)."

  Upon opening the attachment, Microsoft Word 97 will ask if you want to
  disable the macros, to which you should reply yes, or the e-mail will
  automatically be sent to the first fifty names on each company mailing
  list.

  "If you don't disable the macros, the virus resends itself to everyone
  in [your] address list," said John Berard, a spokesman for Fleishman
  Hillard, which was infected by the virus and inadvertently spread it
  around. "We've been shut down and working on the problem all day. It's
  hard working without the effective use of e-mail. But this thing did
  not originate with us."

  In addition, the virus automatically changes the security settings of
  an infected system to the lowest possible setting, a slick move that
  has IT managers wondering if they will have to manually reset every
  infected PC in their enterprise.

  Fleishman Hillard immediately shut down its systems when it discovered
  the virus and contacted federal authorities. Fleishman Hillard has
  more than 1,500 employees worldwide.

  Meanwhile, the list of companies affected is growing exponentially. An
  Intel spokesperson reported that the chip-giant had been "touched" by
  the virus and is working on correcting the problem. "It's all over,"
  he said.

  Tom Moske, network manager for USWeb CKS, said the virus has made for
  a very long day. "It's going to propagate like crazy. It's gone to all
  of our client and personal addresses. We are kind of laughing,
  although it is pretty bad. This is a good one."

  A fix for the virus has been posted on the Trend Micro Web site. All
  major antivirus companies are expected to follow suit by Monday.
  Symantec is on a company-wide holiday today.

  Dan Schrader, director of product marketing at Trend Micro recommends
  that IT managers do not panic upon learning of the insidious virus,
  but shut down the e-mail system and go to Trend Micro's Web site at
  housecall.antivirus.com/smex_housecall for further instructions.

  Though Schrader could not say how many companies had been affected, he
  did say the his company was "getting swamped with calls and hits on
  the Web site. Obviously it spreads very rapidly."

  Schrader said the virus is easy to detect and not destructive in
  nature. But it can cause serious bandwidth constraints and contains
  several quirky characteristics.

  According to Trend Micro officials, the virus has a hidden message
  that is time triggered to reveal a quote from the popular TV series
  "The Simpsons."

  Dan Briody is the client/server section editor at InfoWorld. Bob
  Trott, Stannie Holt, and Michael Lattig contributed to this report.

                    Go to the Week's Top News Stories

   Please direct your comments to InfoWorld Deputy News Editor, Carolyn
   April

               Copyright © 1999 InfoWorld Media Group Inc.

                InfoWorld Electric is a member of IDG.net

                       [idgnet_bluenet_31x49.gif]

           | SiteMap | Search | PageOne | Reader/Ad Services |
        | Enterprise Careers | Opinions | Test Center | Features |
          | Forums | Interviews | InfoWorld Print | InfoQuote |

  [cs;sz=125x125;tile=1;ord=922556303]
  [cs;sz=125x125;tile=2;ord=922556303]
  [cs;sz=125x125;tile=3;ord=922556303]
  [cs;sz=125x125;tile=4;ord=922556303]

== "Anti-M$ Mailing List", another fine service of Enemy.ORG / VBS          ==
== [un]subscribe requests to Majordomo () Enemy ORG or Anti_ms-owner () Enemy ORG ==