Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Winter Break and Y2K - To Stay or Not To Stay

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 13:26:04 -0500

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 23:32:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Housing Services General <hserv () pobox upenn edu

While most University residences close for winter break on December 23,
noon, six remain open including Hamilton, Harnwell, and Harrison College
Houses, Sansom Place East and West, and Mayer Hall.

Although the University has been preparing for Y2K, many basic services
such as heat, electricity, water, and telephone are provided by public
utility companies.  As we cannot be certain how Y2K may affect us,
residents who do not have to stay on campus over the break may want to make
alternate plans.  It is possible that the campus community may experience
some level of inconvenience beyond our control.  The impact may be minor
such as unexpected alarms, flickering lights, or more significantly, loss
of heat or power.

All residents who choose to remain on campus will be required to register
in advance with their House Deans, and may want to take some simple
precautionary steps.  We recommend keeping a flashlight, extra blankets and
non-perishable food items on hand in case of service interruptions.  Our
service desks in open buildings will be staffed and emergency duty
personnel will be on call.

This e-mail comes to you at this time to allow opportunity for any
necessary advance planning.

Your Housing and Conference Services Department

David Farber
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems
University of Pennsylvania
Home Page: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber
Email: farber () cis upenn edu

Home: +1 610 274 8292; Cell and Office: +1 215 327 8756; Fax:  +1 408 490 2720