Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: What's in an Address? Maybe a Lawsuit

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:42:50 -0400

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/10/biztech/articles/22web.html

October 22, 1999

What's in an Address? Maybe a Lawsuit

By PATRICK McGEEHAN and MATT RICHTEL

  xecutives of Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Company have been boasting
this week about their new on-line stock trading service and the head
start they got on their competitors on Wall Street. But when it came
to the Internet address they desired, somebody got a jump on them.

Depending on who is telling the story, that somebody is either a
17-year-old schoolboy who created a Web site to share his passion for
mountain-bike racing, or an opportunistic "cybersquatter" who
registered dozens of Internet addresses in a scheme to exact ransoms
from big-name corporations.

Typing in the domain name, or Web address, that Morgan Stanley
coveted takes a Web surfer not to its electronic brokerage but
instead to what appears to be a site dedicated to mountain biking. It
carries a photo of a helmeted cyclist under the title Mud Sweat's
Downhill World.

Ivan Wong, a senior at a private high school in Los Altos, Calif.,
said he created the site at www.msdwonline.com and named it after Mud
Sweat & Gears, the shop that sold him his mountain bikes. "Me and my
friends saw other sites on the Net," he said, sitting with his
parents in the dining room of their spacious home in Hillsborough,
north of Silicon Valley. "We wanted to start our own -- with a bunch
of pictures and videos and stuff."

Morgan Stanley filed suit in United States District Court in
Manhattan, contending that Mr. Wong's Web site infringes on the
firm's trademarks. Morgan Stanley is asking a judge to stop Ivan from
using the domain name.