Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Re:: re crypto policy impact

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 19:20:42 -0400

From: shapj () us ibm com
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 18:14:52 -0400
Subject: Re: IP: re crypto policy impact

The following [note concerning export of Apple's G$ processors]
is from a legitimate Apple dealer in Russia

Dave:

Since some of your readers may not know, I just wanted to take note that this
isn't really a crypto issue.

The US maintains export controls on three categories of things related to
computers (and probably several others):

1. Cryptographic technology
2. High-performance processors
3. Secure operating systems

Cryptographic technologies see regular discussion in your list, and I won't
belabor them further.

The high-performance processor issue doesn't appear to be an issue
of "speech",
and probably will never be challengable under first ammendment
grounds.  It's a
fatally flawed policy; it is simply too easy to send students or buyers to
countries that have high-performance machines and buy them for
transport or use
them in place.  Further, I'm not aware of controls that prohibit remote access
from proscribed countries over (say) the internet. [Perhaps someone
on your list
can expand on the last issue.]

The success and widespread availability of things like Beowulf -- a
project that
links ordinary machines into a networked "supercomputer" -- is making the
definition of "supercomputer" increasingly suspect.  Why bother
controlling the
export of G4 processors when a few suitably linked Pentiums work just as well?
The export controls were designed to make it difficult to do things
like nuclear
bomb simulations and decryption.  Both problems are parallelizable;
it may even
be that a Beowulf cluster is a better solution than a G4 class processor.  The
Beowulf technology is not subject to export control.

The secure operating system issue is a case of good intentions ill considered.
It is legitemate to worry about what would happen if, say, Iran had access to
operating systems that the US could not crack.  Worrying won't help.
Today, such
technology is available piecemeal on the web, and getting better integrated
daily. Court rulings on cryptographic technology have so far been careful to
avoid impacting the export of operating systems.

The downside to the secure OS issue is that it is *also* desirable
to be able to
ship products that cannot be tampered with by the end user or a
third party.  An
adequately secured air traffic control system, for example, cannot
be abused by
terrorists.  An adequately secure banking software suite is significantly less
susceptible to electronic attack.

There have been several highly secure operating system products that have been
dropped because of export controls.  A company has no incentive to go for real
security when this means that expense is increased and the product
must then be
restricted to the US market.  Digital (now Compaq) built and dropped an
A1-capable virtual machine monitor for the VAX line that is a good case in
point.  Combine such policies with the Pentagon's increasing
emphasis on use of
COTS (commercial off the shelf) software in the interests of cost
reduction and
you have a clear-cut disaster in the making.

This particular export restriction remains in force because of an executive
order signed by Clinton when the earlier law went out of force.
While opinions
are now split, many individuals at NSA now believe that this law was
a mistake.

A compelling case can be made that this law effectively prevents the
widespread
dissemination of secure systems, and that in the face of current activities
against our nation's electronic infrastructure the continuation of this law
constitutes a clear and present danger to our nation.

Jonathan S. Shapiro