Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 9/9/99 -- a bunch of stories

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:39:50 -0400

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () cs cmu edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Excite headlines this morning include

North American Power Grid Passes '9/9/99' Test
http://news.excite.com/news/r/990909/04/news-yk-electricity

Asia Escapes 'Four 9s' Computer Bug
http://news.excite.com/news/r/990909/03/tech-yk-asia

But I never put much stock in this anyhow, because the conversion of 9/9/99
to internal forms used for computation so rarely yield a string of
(internal) nines.

More worrisome ...

Russia Said Skipping Y2k Step On Key Systems
http://news.excite.com/news/r/990909/03/tech-russia-usa

Mary