Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: FIRMS GO OUTSIDE BOX, TO CONGRESS TO SOLVEHIGH-TECH WORKERSHORTAGE from Educause

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 09:33:30 -0400

From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap () eros-os org>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

As it happens, I've recently been looking for academic positions in computer
science. The visa situation will only get worse. The real problem is lack of
teachers.

If we take "multiple openings" in a job add to mean "2" (which is probably
conservative), there are over 700 faculty openings for "systems" positions
in the United States this year. These are the faculty who cover the areas
(operating systems, compilers, databases) that industry most directly wants
to hire.

Total production of new computer science Ph.D.'s in the US this year was
600. That's *all* of them, not just systems candidates. All but a few of the
systems people are going to industry.

Computer science faculties are getting raided left and right by the various
companies.

Student interest in graduate studies has fallen to all-time lows. It's
simply too lucrative to jump right into industrial jobs. Given this,
academia must either produce fewer Ph.D.'s (and therefore fewer potential
faculty members) or it will shift to producing foreign Ph.D.'s. Foreign
Ph.D.'s produce foreign students, leading to a further shift in supply.

Meanwhile, academia continues to apply traditional academic standards in
faculty hiring. People trying to return to academia from industry have a
great deal to offer, but lack the usual credentials in the form of
publications and teaching evaluations.

In short, we are eating our seed corn. As bad as the shortage is now, it is
going to get much much worse.

Jonathan S. Shapiro