Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Anti-spam measures by AOL over the top?

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:24:20 -0400

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:52:18 -0700
From: Harry Saal <Harry () Saal org>
To: Dave Farber <Dave () farber net>
Subject: Anti-spam measures by AOL over the top?

This is the second such list I participate in, which seems no longer
able to reach its members with aol.com addresses. Has the nation of
AOL really decided to become even more distant from the rest of the
universe? Whatever new "anti-spam" measures they have introduced lately
seem to be splattering the "good guys", without any procedure to
appeal the matter to higher powers.

 Dear xxxxxx, this is a plea for advice from any of you in the IT
 world. We have been recently been having huge problems with distributing
 our (subscription only, NOT spam) newsletter to our patrons with e-mail
 addresses on AOL. The system that Case built seems to be filtering out
 maybe half of our transmissions. This morning we tried a new approach and
 created an AOL Screen Name (from Roberto's personal account) and managed to
 send most of the addresses (aprox 1650 in batches of 200) then suddenly got
 a message that "bulk mail is against AOL Terms of Service, this account is
 being deactivated" and not just the WINE EXPO screen name but Roberto's
 ENTIRE personal account was shut down.

 If any of our net savvy friends have any ideas about:

 A) why a company big enough to buy TIME WARNER has no listings in
the phone book

 B) how a legitimate mailing list run by folks who hate spam more than AOL
 does can reach it's subscribers on AOL

 or C) how in the hell to contact an actual human being to talk to about this

 your help would be GREATLY appreciated!

 Pulling our hair out, Roberto