Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Markoff is God (or maybe Will Wright is)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:45:05 -0400

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:21:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gerald A Ballman <ballman () nadn navy mil>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: IP: Markoff is God (or maybe Will Wright is)

My wife purchased this game (The Sims)and often plays it.  I have played
it and found it to be intensely amusing at first then boring after a time.
Actually, I don't believe there is a virus that causes deliberate problems
in the game, it's actually a designed component.  In fact the designers
call it a chaos generator.  It's intended to throw a curve ball in the
best player intentions. Basically it mimics some of the realities of life.
Burglars break in and steal property, people die, appliances break, fires
start around the house, characters get fired from their jobs, etc. The
truly interesting component of the chaos generator is the fact that as the
character is educated (mechanics, cooking) they are able to quickly repair
broken things themselves without calling the repairman (thus avoiding the
depletion of their money supply) and get job promotions.  The more the
character learns about cooking, the less likely they are to start fires in
the kitchen. They can practice giving speeches in front of the mirror and
build Charisma points which help them get job promotions.  Basically the
more educated the character, the easier the game gets to play.   It's only
after the character becomes fully educated do they become truly boring.

Like Real Life?
 :-)

Jerry Ballman