Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Viewing credit card bills online

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:02:27 -0400

This has worried me a lot also. That info is just too easy to come by

Dave

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:14:16 -0400
From: David Rosensweig <dlrosens () seas upenn edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Viewing credit card bills online

Prof. Farber,

I thought I'd bring to your attentino something I haven't seen discussed
and thought might be of interest to your IP readers: the lax
registration process for services that allow you to view your credit
card statements online.

I recently registered for online bill-viewing service for my MBNA Visa
card at www.mbnanetaccess.com.  I also registered my American Express
card on their site.  What worries me is the small amount of information
they requested.  For each site, all I needed to register as a first-time
user was my credit number, my name as it appears on the card, all or
part of my social security number, and my date of birth.  For MBNA it
also asks for my phone number and mother's maiden name.

By asking for such little information it makes the registration easier
and simpler.  I was able to view my accounts in under a minute as a
new-user.  But the information these sites request is so easy obtain --
any clerk in a store could look at my credit number, and the other
personal info is easily available.  If I had never registered for this
service, I might never know if someone else had registered under my name
and wreaked havoc with my account.

I remember in earlier days of online bill paying and even web-based
services like this for my bank, I had to request a username/password and
they sent it to me via snail mail.  While it was more inconvenient, it
was a bit safer than today's system.  Until better a personal
identication token system is established, I'd prefer to wait for my
password in the mail.

Best,
David