Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: CDT launches consumer campaign against DoubleClick's double-cross

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 06:30:38 -0500

CDT launches consumer campaign against DoubleClick's double-cross

February 1, 2000 - Today, CDT launched an online campaign against
DoubleClick's effort to create a system to track individual identities and
actions online and tie them to offline behavior.

With the slogan "I Will Not Be Targeted," CDT unveiled a new Web site,
http://www.cdt.org/action/doubleclick.shtml, where individuals can:

1) Opt-out of Doubleclick's profiling activities;
2) Send an email to Doubleclick's CEO objecting to the tracking; and,
3) Send an email to Doubleclick's member Web sites telling them not to sell
or disclose individual identities to Doubleclick.

Deirdre Mulligan, CDT Staff Counsel, urged Internet users to reassert
control over their data.  Mulligan said, "You may have already been
double-crossed by DoubleClick or you may be next in line.  In either case,
if you care about your privacy and want to surf the Web without your every
move being recorded in a giant database connected to your name, its time to
opt-out of DoubleClick's profiling."  Mulligan added, "When a site
discloses your identity to Doubleclick, the final piece of a comprehensive
tracking system falls into place.  Once Doubleclick knows who you are, it
can tie information about your use of the Web garnered through its
"cookies" to information about your offline habits.  Opt-out is not a
perfect solution to privacy concerns online, but it's something you can do
right away and we've tried to made it quick and easy with our online
resource."

A Policy Post further describing DoubleClick's tracking program and CDT's
new consumer opt-out resource will be coming out later today.