Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: on cable access & content control

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 18:59:47 -0500

From: Donald Weightman <dweightman () RADIX NET>
Subject:      More on cable access & content control
To: CYBERTELECOM-L () LISTSERV AOL COM

Some interesting stuff (all public data) from another list (posted by John
Schwartz. reposted with permission):

High Speed Access Corp. provides turnkey high speed internet service to
mid-sized and small cable systems.  Paul Allen's Vulcan Ventures recently
invested in HSA .  At roughly the same time, HSA contracted with two
Allen-owned cable companies, Charter and Marcus, to service a number of
their systems.

In the master Network Services Agreement between Charter, Marcus, and HSA,
violation of a separate "content agreement" is listed as a cause for
termination.  Here, from an HSA SEC filing, is a description of the content
agreement.

"Under our programming content agreement with Vulcan Ventures, Vulcan has
the right to require us to carry, on an exclusive basis in all cable
systems we serve, content it designates. Vulcan content may include
start-up and related web pages, electronic programming guides, other
multimedia information and telephony services. We will not share in any
revenues Vulcan may earn through the content or telephony services it
provides. We must provide all equipment necessary for the delivery of
Vulcan content, although Vulcan will reimburse us for any costs we incur in
excess of $3,000 per cable headend. Vulcan cannot charge us for any Vulcan
content through November 25, 2008; after that date we will be obligated to
pay Vulcan for this content at the lowest fee charged to any Internet
service provider who subscribes to Vulcan content. Vulcan has the right to
prohibit us from providing content or telephony services that compete with
Vulcan content and can require us to remove our competing content.
Moreover, many industry analysts believe that Internet access will become
increasingly reliant upon revenues from content due to competitive
pressures to provide low cost or even free Internet access. If Vulcan were
to require us to remove our content or substitute its telephony services
for any we might provide, we could lose a source of additional revenues and
might not recover all related costs of providing our content or telephony
services. Vulcan's ability to prohibit us from providing content and
telephony services means that Vulcan's interests are not necessarily
aligned with those of our other stockholders"

There are quite a number of HSA SEC filings.  The document from which the
above quotation is taken can be found online at

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1075244/0000950123-99-002278.txt

The Network Services Agreement between the Allen cable operators and HSA
can be found at:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1075244/0001035704-99-000273.txt

Don Weightman

Donald Weightman