Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re:GROUPS BEGIN PUBLIC AWARENESS CAMPAIGN FOR INTERNET BOARD Edupage, 30 June 2000

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 07:58:17 -0400

Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 22:38:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Adam L. Beberg" <beberg () mithral com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Dave Farber wrote:

"Internet users need to exercise their right to vote to ensure that
ICANN's decisions are in the best interests of the greater
Internet,"

It concerns me greatly that what was once a benevolent dictatorship
under the brilliant and wise Dr. Jon Postel, is now a beurocratic
quasi-democracy of 16 year olds without any understanding of deeply
technical issues. Or worse, companies with everything but the interests
of the whole in mind. Is there even the remotest possibility this is a
good thing?

Ignoring the profoundly trivial issues like if we should add .sex or
.web to the Network Solutions monopoly first, forcing everyone to pay up
or get squatted. Do we want "Internet users" making important decisions
based on who kisses the most babies or has a cuter butt, rather then
solid scientific research and debate? Will we soon have an ICANN
president sneaking around with interns and running IP-block deals with
crooked loans?

I better shut up before my domains start turning up "lost" yet again
and get auctioned off.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/