Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Ethics for Machines

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 17:20:12 -0400

Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 17:03:20 -0400
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)
From: Jean Armour Polly <mom () netmom com>

I found this on http://nanodot.org/  a Slashdot for nanotechnology and its
social effects.

Ethics for Machines

J. Storrs Hall, PhD.

http://discuss.foresight.org/~josh/ethics.html
"Suppose, instead, we can build (or become) machines that can not only run
faster, jump higher, dive deeper, and come up drier than we can, but have
moral senses similarly more capable? Beings that can see right and wrong
through the political garbage dump of our legal system; corporations one
would like to have as a friend (or would let ones daughter marry);
governments less likely to lie than your neighbor is. "

"I could argue at length (but will not, here) that a society including
superethical machines would not only be better for people to live in, but
stronger and more dynamic than ours is today. What is more, not only
ethical evolution but most of the classical ethical theories, if warped to
admit the possibility, (and of course the religions!) seem to allow the
conclusion that having creatures both wiser *and morally superior* to
humans might just be a good idea."