Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: European Domain Operators Refuse to Pay Bills

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:32:10 -0400

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/06/cyber/articles/07domain.html

June 7, 2000
European Domain Operators Refuse to Pay Bills
By JERI CLAUSING

WASHINGTON -- In the latest setback for the Internet's new private
management authority, a coalition of companies and nonprofit groups that
run 30 so-called country-code domains in Europe this weekend voted to
ignore the nearly $1 million in bills they have been sent.
Members of the coalition said they objected to the way the private
authority, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, was
levying the fees and also to the lack of any formal agreement about what
control Icann will ultimately will have over their domain-name registration
businesses.

"We just feel that they shouldn't send out invoices without agreements,"
said Fay Howard, general manager of the Council of European National
Top-Level Domain Registries, which met in Norway over the weekend. "There
are two sides to any contract. We feel before any authority is ceded to
Icann, we need to have something in place."