Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Teen angst, Rundgren-style

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:28:45 -0400

Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:25:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Wharton <jwharton () netcom com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Teen angst, Rundgren-style

Dave--

I caught the end of some Charlie Rose-type business/finance show
on CNBC this morning.  Todd Rundgren was the guest, discussing new
business models for the music industry in the age of Napster.  Todd
was advocating various patronage models or pre-paid subscription
services in the mold of cable TV.

Not unlike the discussion thread on your IP list last week ("Re: WHEN
people can easily copy anything digital...").  Interesting that such
proposals are already filtering into the mass-media.  (You can't get
more mainstream than CNBC.)

But I was most amused when, after a commercial break, Todd played an
angry, grunge-like cut from his latest album/concert tour.  Its title
(and refrain)?:

                  " I Hate My Frickin' ISP! "

Ah, for the days when rebellion was against War and Social Injustice!

  --john wharton

Footnote: The CNBC interviewer had also arranged a reunion of sorts:
a former drummer of Todd's band, Utopia, sat in on the session.  Seems
he'd left the group years ago to become a Certified Financial Planner.

(Ah, for the days of rock stars overdosing on drugs.  And drummers
bursting spontaneously into flame!)  (Trivia allusion, anyone?)