Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: From a former BBC reporter -- Re: -- FBI probing Israeli wiretapping at White House --Insight mag

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 18:49:05 -0700

From: Jan Ziff <janziff () mindspring com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave:

As the former BBC State Department correspondent, and one who covered
US-Israel relations for many years before that as a Jerusalem
correspondent - I am delighted you posted the Insight story.  Having
watched the Pollard affair unfold, and knowing that the damage to the US
is far greater than has been publicly reported - I had to laugh at the
comment of the Israeli spokesman at the Embassy that "Israel does not spy
on the United States"... something about bridges and Brooklyn comes to mind.

The real question is why such a major story which clearly has more than a
little substantiation is dismissed out of hand by the AP on the word of
one unnamed "senior federal law enforcement official" and a second equally
unnamed "senior law enforcement official."

Since when has the word of unnamed officials been gospel in Washington,
either which way? I do hope that the current State Department press corps
is all over this one as quickly as we would have been when I was there! If
this is anything as good as I suspect it is, I can only say, stay tuned.

Jan Ziff