Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: vote trading and Internet voting

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 06:36:10 -0500

Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 02:22:48 -0800
From: Ed Gerck <egerck () safevote com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: vote trading and Internet voting

Dave: Hi! This may interest your IP'ers]

The question of the day is vote trading and using the Internet
for vote trading.

First, I would like to point out that this action is occurring with
*paper ballots* and shows that the Internet is this train that is
changing our lives whether we follow the ostrich approach or not. So,
those that do not want Internet voting because they do not want the
Internet to change the way they vote, are just trying to bury their
heads in the  sand and ignore this train that is coming, ever closer.

Much better, IMO, is to face the situation with all problems and
also potential solutions in order to advance voting to the Internet
age.  Fraudsters and interested sides are already doing so. Serious
tests are being done, like the test contracted with Safevote by the
California Secretary of State and being carried out in Contra Costa
County -- with an open call and inside information to help attackers
[see http://www.safevote.com/tech.htm ]

I also think that enforcement of no vote trading would require as a
minimum a violation of individual privacy.  This poses a considerable
problem in an area where, yes, there should be no compromise when
voting is considered.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck