Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Nonprofit Presidential Transition Survey

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:57:19 -0400

FROM:   Gary Bass & Kay Guinane, OMB Watch
             Maureen Burke & David Cohen, Advocacy Institute
             Rick Cohen, National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy
             Mark Rosenman & Bristow Hardin, The Union Institute

The 2000 Presidential election marks the first time the Internet has been
widely used to get information to voters.  This also marks the first
election in which several nonprofits are utilizing the Internet to inform
both their constituencies and the public about important issues that will
factor into the campaigns.  In this same spirit, we are taking advantage
of the Internet's low cost and rapid turn-around to get your input on
ideas for a Nonprofit Agenda to present to the next President.  These
ideas will lead to specific proposals that the new President can make to
strengthen the nonprofit sector, particularly to address social justice issues.

We have put some ideas into a survey, available online at
http://ombwatch.org/npadv/2000/survey.html. The ideas were developed from
conversations with local, state and national nonprofits and foundations
during previous presidential transitions and with the help of some state
nonprofit associations this summer.  None of us endorse every idea; rather
they reflect the range of ideas that have been presented to us.  Please
rate them in terms of their importance, provide any comments or specific
recommendations by them, and add ideas you feel are important that are missing.

We ask you to distribute this email or inform other nonprofits about the
survey.  THE SURVEY WILL BE OPEN FOR RESPONSES UNTIL SEPTEMBER 26 AT 6:00
P.M. EASTERN TIME.  Please be sure to complete the survey by then, and
share the deadline with others.

After tabulating the results we will send a note identifying how the ideas
were ranked to everyone who provides their email address on the
survey.  An advisory group will be convened to develop specific
recommendations based on the top ranked ideas.  These recommendations will
be available on the same web site as the survey and will be widely
announced so that any additional feedback can be obtained.  After
reviewing the feedback, we will prepare written materials for the
President's transition team.  We will request one or meetings with the
President's new team and invite some state and local groups to any
meetings that occur to discuss the ideas and recommendations.

Since nothing like this has been done before, we would also appreciate any
comments you have about the process.  There is a spot at the end of the
survey for such feedback.

We are sending this message to each of our networks.  As a result, you may
get several copies.  We apologize, but we wanted to reach a wide audience
for this unique opportunity.  If you send this to anyone else, please make
sure they know that they must go to
http://ombwatch.org/npadv/2000/survey.html by 6:00 p.m. (EST) on September
26 to complete the survey.

If you are unable to access this survey on the web and would like to get a
copy, please contact Kay Guinane at OMB Watch at 202/234-8494.

Thanks for your help.  And thanks for your participation in this exciting
Internet experiment.