Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re:panic in educators -- Computers Can Harm Young Children, U.S.Group Says

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:58:08 -0400

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:56:16 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Larry Tesler <tesler () stagecast com>
Subject: Re: IP: Re:panic in educators  -- Computers Can Harm Young
 Children,    U.S.Group Says

To attract the press to the event and to persuade them to carry the story,
the organizers made some extreme-sounding, oversimplified statements.

The report itself is more reasoned. It builds an indirect case based not
on studies of computers in classrooms but on theories of childhood
development that the authors believe are likely to apply.

They admit that their concerns about computer use for kids under the age
of nine are largely unproven. But the uncertainties they claim only
bolster their assertion that studies are needed.

I won't take the authors on point by point. But one assumption they seem
to make is that children glued to their computers interact less with other
children. The fact is that many teachers wisely assign students to groups
of two or three per computer. From what I have seen in my visits to
classrooms, students arranged in this way interact in meaningful ways with
other students more than they do when they toil in solitude with paper
workbooks.

The authors say teachers sometimes abdicate responsibility to a
computerized "baby sitter". But time spent keeping order in a classroom is
not educationally productive. When most of the students in a classroom are
working with self-paced software, a teacher is freed to help students who
need special attention, to plan the next lesson, etc.

The authors raise a wide range of important issues from spending
priorities to the ergonomics of computer desks for children. Although I
disagree with many of their views, I think the issues they raise are ones
that should receive serious attention. And I think they have. What
educator or parent has not had to balance the pro and cons of computer
use? Or, for that matter, TV use? Or involvement in sports that entail
physical and emotional risk? "Too much of a good thing" applies in every area.

I think the authors go too far by calling for a moratorium on computer
purchases in elementary schools. But if the publicity of their report gets
a few more parents and teachers looking at the angle of a child's wrist at
the mouse and keyboard, their work will have been a benefit to society.

Larry Tesler
CEO, Stagecast Software, Inc.
Purveyors of Stagecast Creator (mainly used in middle school and up)
"The software no teacher should be without." -- Instructor Magazine
"Best software of the past decade" -- Technology and Learning