Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Crisis for Air Traffic System More Passengers, More Delays

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 05:31:20 -0400

In addition, what the F.A.A. hails as modernization is the technological
equivalent of a new coat of paint. The new mainframe computers that form
the heart of the air traffic system are I.B.M. models built in the 1990's
that have already gone out of production.
The F.A.A. could not buy I.B.M.'s newest machines because they would not
run Jovial, the 1960's programming language used in the system's software.

Jovial, which stands for Jules Own Version of the International Algebraic
Language, was created by a programmer, Jules I. Schwartz, 40 years ago as
part of a contract for the Strategic Air Command. The F.A.A. plans to
switch to a more modern computer language, but the transition "is very
complex and it is going to take literally years," said William Shumann, an
agency spokesman.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/financial/090500air-traffic.html