Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Email Extraction

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:31:17 -0400

Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:22:17 -0400
From: "Sean C. Sheridan" <scs () CampusParty com>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Email Extraction

Dave,

I suspect you know that there exist email harvesting tools which extract
addresses from text and
html.  (I can write a recursive robot in Perl that performs this task in a
few minutes).  In doing a
search on the IP site for 'mailto' I located more than 200 email
addresses, without using any
program; just the HotBot search feature embedded in the page.

The only way I have found to prevent harvesters from finding my address is
to add a '+' to my
address, as in: scs+ () CampusParty com

Perhaps the IP'ers might consider supporting a standard I am attempting to
develop to help prevent
unwanted spam.  I propose creating a file at the root of your server
called harvest.txt listing all
email addresses associated with that server that have elected Not to
receive spam.  (Example
available at: http://www.CampusParty.com/harvest.txt).

Following the model of the Robot's Exclusion Standard
(http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/projects/robots/robots.html)  I propose
the world would be a better
place if harvesters adopt the Email Exclusion Standard:
http://www.CampusParty.com/projects/

I welcome comments and criticisms at: harvest () CampusParty com

Sean C. Sheridan
scs+ () CampusParty com
(215) 569-3950

Campus Party, Inc.