Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: "AT&T and Bells" No, users should come first

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:05:26 +1000

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 00:48:02 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Dave Burstein <dave () dslprime com>
Subject: Re: IP: "AT&T and Bells" No, users should come first

Dave

The Times story you sent over,

In Capitol, AT&T and Bells Fight to Control Web Access

has two important failings. It's mistaken and out of date - I'm about to
report that AT&T and the bells are quietly looking to cut a deal, with
overtures at the highest levels. If so, the opposition in the Senate would
disappear, and a bill restricting the Internet may go through.

More profoundly wrong, though, is the article'ss assumption the only two
parties are the bells and AT&T/cable. What about us, the users of the net.
The true battle is between the mega corps and Internet users. The Times
wrote from inside the beltway blindness, but even inside the beltway many
of the most important players - I believe including the head of the FCC,
Mike Powell - put public interest ahead of corporate politics. Powell
talks of a wonderful diverstiy of programming within the next five years -
it won't happen if a few companies control, and exact tolls.

This is far more than a company/business issue. This goes to the heart of
freedom of speech, and the practical delivery of opinion. The third
internet is coming, fast enough to watch. The technology for inexpensive
video is already on the market, so it is crucial that local monopolies not
have the power to economically block programming.

Dave Burstein
DSL Prime.

p.s. thanks for picking up my previous thoughts on this. I think open
access to the net, at video speeds, is a battle worth fighting.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/