Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Antivirus firms deny Magic Lantern backdoor plans

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 06:04:54 -0500

From: "Bill Sodeman" <bill () sodeman com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Antivirus firms deny Magic Lantern backdoor plans
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:47:17 -0600

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011210/tc/attack_tech_dc.html

Monday December 10 8:30 PM ET
Antivirus Firms Say They Won't Create FBI Loophole
By Elinor Mills Abreu

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Anti-virus software vendors said on Monday
they don't want to create a loophole in their security products to let
the FBI or other government agencies use a virus to eavesdrop on the
computer communications of suspected criminals.

Under a project code named "Magic Lantern," the U.S. Federal Bureau of
Investigation is creating an e-mail-borne virus or Trojan horse that
hides itself on the computer and captures all keystrokes made, including
passwords that could be used to read encrypted mail, according to a
report on MSNBC.com in November.

Despite subsequent reports to the contrary, officials at Symantec Corp.
and Network Associates Inc. said they had no intention of voluntarily
modifying their products to satisfy the FBI. Spokesmen at two other
computer security companies, Japan-based Trend Micro Inc. and the U.S.
subsidiary of UK-based Sophos PLc., made similar statements.

All four anti-virus companies said they had not contacted or been
contacted by the U.S. government on the matter.

"We're in the business of providing a virus-free environment for our
users and we're not going to do anything to compromise that security,"
said Tony Thompson of Network Associates.

"Symantec's first priority is to protect our customers from malicious
and illegal attacks," Symantec Chief Executive John W. Thompson said in
a statement. "We have no intention of creating or leaving a hole in our
software that might compromise that security."

If anti-virus vendors were to leave a hole for an FBI-created Trojan
horse program, malicious hackers would try to exploit the hole too,
experts said.

"If you leave the weakness for the FBI, you leave it for everybody,"
said Fred Cohen, an independent security expert and digital forensics
professor at the University of New Haven.

>From the industry perspective, leaving a hole in anti-virus software
would erode public confidence and damage the reputation of the vendor,
sending customers to competing companies, the vendors said.

The government would have to convince all anti-virus vendors to
cooperate or the plan wouldn't work, since those not cooperating would
have a market advantage and since they all share information, said a
Symantec spokeswoman.

"The thought that you would be able to convince the industry as a whole
to do this is kind of naive," she said.

All four anti-virus companies said they had not contacted or been
contacted by the U.S. government on the matter.

The FBI declined to confirm or deny the report about "Magic Lantern,"
when it was first published by MSNBC.com and a spokesman was not
available for comment on Monday.

PLAN WOULD ALIENATE OTHER COUNTRIES

Symantec and Networks Associates, both of whom have investments in
China, would not jeopardize their footings in that market, said Rob
Rosenberger, editor of www.vmyths.com, a Web site that debunks virus
hoaxes.

"If (the Chinese) thought that the company was a tool of the CIA (news -
web sites), China would stop using those products in critical
environments," Rosenberger said. "It is in the best interest of
anti-virus vendors not to heed the call of the FBI."

"We always try to cooperate with the authorities when it's appropriate.
Having said that, our No. 1 goal is to protect our customers," said
Barbara Woolf of Trend Micro. "I've heard reports that the government is
upset this got out and is going back to the drawing board."

Appeasing the U.S. government would be difficult for vendors who have
parent companies and customers outside the United States, they said.

"If the laws of the land were to change to permit this kind of activity
then we would abide by the law," said David Hughes, president of Sophos'
U.S. subsidiary.

But "how would a vendor provide protection for customers outside of the
specific jurisdiction?" Hughes asked. "If we were to do this for the
U.S. government we'd also have to do it for the government of any other
nation that would want to do something similar."

Bill Sodeman
bill () sodeman com / http://bill.sodeman.com

1-512-845-0119

For archives see: