Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: good point on NYT on "IT"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 08:37:39 -0500

ate: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 08:31:28 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Denise Caruso <caruso () hybridvigor org>
Subject: Re: IP: NYT on "IT"

Hi Dave,

Obviously an amazing technical achievement, but IT overlooks one of the most critical reasons people use their cars in cities: schlepping.

I don't ride a bicycle in San Francisco because I carry my laptop and usually a bunch of reading material (read: heavy, somewhat bulky), and often a lunch, between home and office every day. It's literally a five-minute commute by car, probably a 15-minute bike ride but still, strapping that stuff all over me so I can bike to work is completely impractical (and unsafe) under these very common circumstances. And I'm a mild case, schlep-wise.

I don't see a trunk built into Ginger, and without a way to carry at least a little bit of stuff safely I don't see how it can catch on in a big way. That may be prosaic in light of Kamen's technical accomplishment and doesn't matter much in the industrial setting, but I'd say it's a gating factor for widespread consumer acceptance.

Denise

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/