Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Telecommuters must pay extra for cable VPNs [v2]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:25:44 -0500

From: "Bob Frankston" <BobRMF17 () Bobf Frankston com>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>

<http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO66589,00.html>http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO66589,00.html

Just one more example of how absolute power corrupts.

I remember when I had a modem at home and used it to dial up the computers at school and work. In 1970, Mort Berlan, then head of MIT s phone network assured me that the phone companies could not force me to get a business line. There is no reason to even assume that a VPN is a heavier burden that shared webcams. Remember that a VPN is an application defined at the end points, it is not a service provided by the carrier

Move ahead thirty years and we find that the carriers now feel free to eavesdrop on my conversations and tell me whether I am using unapproved packets. What is the reasoning that justifies such intrusiveness? I would think granting the ability to interfere with free speech requires an extraordinary justification.

This is only a small part of the larger issue of those who have been trusted with controlling the first mile of connectivity from my home continue to talk about the revenue from new services that they can create and content they can delivery. But this all assumes that they continue to make policies that limit my choice of who I can communicate with. (Yes, I know I can use the phone but that s like saying I can use the post office instead of the Internet.)

It is one more reminder why asking for more broadband is self-defeating. The model of broadband being offered is much more like television than the innovative Internet. We need to be very careful about what we ask for -- we might very well get broadband yet still not get the societal benefits of the Internet. That would be tragic.

Bob Frankston
<http://www.frankston.com>http://www.Frankston.com

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/