Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: If you love GPRS, set it free

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 08:41:20 -0500

From: "Alan A. Reiter" <reiter () wirelessinternet com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Hi Dave,

Since my URL is "wirelessinternet.com," I have something of an interest in
seeing that "Wireless Internet" (or "Mobile Internet") becomes a reality!
However, to become a reality, the wireless industry -- operators,
manufacturers and some content providers -- have to stop misleading the
public about what they offer.  802.11 is wireless Internet.  Metricom was
wireless Internet.  But WAP is not wireless Internet.  GPRS isn't likely to
be, either.

GPRS speeds are, typically 20K - 40K bps.  CDMA speeds for 1xRTT which will
be available in the U.S. next year might actually be 40K - 60K bps per user.
But the network operators must reconsider their pricing models for packets,
or else these data services will be failures, too.

AT&T, VoiceStream and Cingular have launched GPRS services and, of course,
are promoting GPRS as wireless Internet.  AT&T's GPRS plan **starts** at
$49.99 per month for voice service + 1MB of data.  One megabyte?  For $50?
With current GPRS plans in the U.S., anyone who wants to use the service as
"wireless Internet" either needs to be extremely wealthy or will go bankrupt
paying for packets!

Also, will subscribers get into the habit of counting packets?  How will
they keep track of usage?

These GPRS prices are, of course, for the so-called early adopters.  It will
be interesting to see how the CDMA carriers, such as Sprint and Verizon,
price their 1xRTT services, which are expected around mid-2002.  Both
carriers are already testing 1xRTT around the U.S.

By-the-way, although everyone is hailing "packet pricing" as the Only True
Way to Success, I have a contrary view.  If you could get airtime speeds of,
for example, 40K - 50K bps over 1xRTT, would you wind up paying much less at
$.10 PER MINUTE or per-packet (or per 1K)?  In many instances, I think a low
per-minute rate (as offered by today's "big bucket" plans) would be more
economical for wireless data access.

Alan

Alan A. Reiter, president
Wireless Internet & Mobile Computing