Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Congressional Group Wants to Ban Some Net Tracking Technologies

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:57:38 -0500

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:56:23 -0500
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)
From: Jean Armour Polly <mom () netmom com>
Subject: Congressional Group Wants to Ban Some Net Tracking Technologies

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20010202/wr/privacy_congress_dc_2.html

"A key U.S. Congressional group says it wants to pass a strong privacy
bill and ban some Internet tracking technologies that monitor Web users as
it tackles 'the civil-rights issue of the decade.'
The four co-chairs of the increasingly prominent Congressional Privacy
Caucus said they did not want to override state legislation. But federal
privacy laws were needed to address growing public concerns about
electronic surveillance and especially `'bugs' that secretly track online
behavior, they added.
'Privacy is going to become the civil-rights issue of the decade,' caucus
co-chair Rep. Edward Markey, a Massachusetts Democrat, said Thursday at a
news conference.
Markey was joined by co-chairs Rep. Joe Barton, a Texas Republican; Sen.
Richard Shelby, an Alabama Republican; and Sen. Chris Dodd, a Connecticut
Democrat."
<snip>
"... the group will hold hearings in late February to investigate a
tracking technology called 'Web bugs.'
Web bugs, also known as clear GIFs, enable advertisers to secretly track
the online behavior of individual Web surfers for marketing purposes. Web
bugs can also be encoded in e-mail messages and linked with an
individual's Web-surfing log.
'As far as I'm concerned, we ought to put in law an outright ban' on Web
bugs, Barton said. "

--

Jean Armour Polly
http://www.netmom.com/