Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Service providers restricting alternatives?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:19:55 -0400

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () cs cmu edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave,

I rent a piece of the shaw.org domain, namely mary.shaw.org, from
NetIdentity.  This provides me with some web space and a personal email
account.  NetIdentity just sent a notice including the following:

================
MSN Sending Block
We have been notified that throughout the month of July MSN will begin to
block SMTP or outgoing mail from non-MSN email addresses on their servers.
This means that if MSN is your ISP, you may experience problems sending mail
from your NetIdentity account. If you begin to experience this problem, you
can change your outgoing/SMTP setting so that it will not be blocked. For
instructions, please go to
https://www.netidentity.com/support/techsupport/sendingproblems.asp.
================

This is the second time recently I've heard of such restrictions.  About a
week ago a friend in Greensburg said that his ISP (I forget which one, but
not MSN) was imposing a similar restriction, which was going to mess up his
ability to manage several mail accounts such as his Yahoo account.

These blockages are presented as anti-spam measures.  NetIdentity suggests
switching outbound mail to port 80.

Do you know what's going on here?  Is this actually a spam deterrent, or is
it an anticompetitive play?  Will the port 80 workaround last, or will they
block that as well?

Mary

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/