Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: Adobe Boycott

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:38:46 -0400

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:35:36 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu, info () raisch com
From: Peter Wayner <pcw () flyzone com>
Subject: Re: IP: re: Adobe Boycott

From: "Rob Raisch" <info () raisch com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Adobe Boycott
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:53:06 -0400

Dave,

I am no fan of the fascist DMCA, but isn't this the same scenario as DeCSS,
where someone set out specifically to create a tool which can only be used
to circumvent control over someone else's property?  Correct me if I am
wrong, but doesn't Dmitry's company sell a program to circumvent Adobe's
woefully inadequate copy protection?  And isn't Dmitry its author?

I have not used the software and I have not examined it, but I can assure
you that
the tool has many legitimate uses. Several months ago I created a PDF file
with
Acrobat and sent it to a friend. Then my hard disk crashed destroying the
original.
The friend sent the document back and asked me to change a semi-colon to a
colon.
Alas, Adobe's copy protection tool prevented me from doing that. I sure wish
I knew about the tool then.

Yes, it can and probably will be used by people circumventing copyright, but
there's a reason why we need locksmiths in the physical world.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/