Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Dvorak Commentary

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:27:27 -0400

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:12:59 -0500
From: John Lyon <jelyon () jelyon com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

I thought Dvorak's thoughts on the possible political clout of the "Tech
Elite" might be of interest to the IP list.

He points out that the "Digerati" tend to be fiscally conservative, socially
liberal. I think there is a tendency towards Libertarianism among this class
as well.

The article is online at (watch for a wrapped URL):

www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2784848,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_mh_comm

"Why members of the tech elite have clout"

By John C. Dvorak
PC Magazine
UPDATED July 23, 2001 5:22 AM PT

COMMENTARY--The group could be called the Internet Class, the Digital Age
Workers, or even the Digerati--a term popularized by writer/agent John
Brockman in his book of the same title, which profiles the elite of the
technology world. In the newest sense of the term, if you are reading this
column, you would quite likely be categorized as one of the digerati. And
apparently, you are about to become important, as a group, to politicos.
Maybe now is the time to organize into a massive pressure group.

<snip>

This group holds common beliefs regarding technology and its importance.
Thus, there is no reason that the digerati cannot become a force to be
reckoned with. Right now, being one of the digerati is like being in a club
and not knowing you're a member. According to Business Week, which prefers
the cumbersome term Digital Age Worker, the members are described as
"economically conservative, socially tolerant swing voters who live in
suburbia." Not very specific, but it's the start of a real definition.

<snip>

I used to be a union man when I was in school and always worked during the
summer in various union jobs. They paid well, and I learned a few things
about labor. One thing was certain: The unions once had a lot of clout. They
don't have as much any more. The same is true of the Moral Majority. What
happened to them? The point is that these moments of political clout are
fleeting. This opportunity is just emerging. Now is the time to use it to
get our way. We just have to figure out what "our way" is before the moment
is lost.

There is no reason that the digerati cannot become a force to be reckoned
with. Right now being one of the digerati is like being in a club and not
knowing you're a member.

<end of commentary>

JEL
It's the economy, stupid - Clinton Campaign, '92
It's the New Economy, stupid - John Lyon, '01

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/