Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a USACM letter to the AAP on Dmitry Sklyarov

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:09:26 -0400

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:02:55 -0700
From: Barbara Simons <simons () acm org>
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: a USACM letter to the AAP on Dmitry Sklyarov

Dave,

USACM, the public policy committee of ACM, just sent a the
following letter to the AAP expressing concern over the AAP's
support for the DMCA in general and the arrest of Russian
cryptographer Dmitry Sklyarov in particular.
(ACM is a member of AAP).

Links to the letter, the AAP, and USACM statements on
the DMCA and other intellectual property issues can be
found under Recent Activities and News at
http://www.acm.org/usacm/.

-------------------------------------

July 26, 2001

The Honorable Patricia S. Schroeder
President & CEO
Association of American Publishers
50 F Street, N.W., 4th Floor
Washington, D.C.  20001

Dear Ms. Schroeder:

As you know, the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) is a member of
the Association of American Publishers (AAP).  As the Co-Chairs of the U.S.
Public Policy Committee of ACM, we are concerned by the APP statement
released on July 19, 2001, which hailed the U.S. Department of Justice's
recent arrest of a Russian cryptographer for allegedly violating the
anti-circumvention provisions of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act
(DMCA).  We would like for the AAP to be aware that ACM has consistently
opposed the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA.  In our view, the
overly-broad provisions impede the progress of research in cryptography and
other computer security areas by criminalizing multi-use technologies
rather than narrowly penalizing infringing behavior.

ACM has been shifting its publication operations from paper-only to
electronic distribution and we understand the importance of reasonable
copyright protections.  ACM is an educational and scientific computing
society comprising computing professionals from all areas of industry,
academia, and government.  As such, we strongly support the freedom of
computer scientists to engage in research, and to exchange ideas and
information fundamental to the progress of innovation.  The need for free
communication and fair-use of information are vital to the processes of
education and research.

During consideration of the DMCA by the U.S. Congress and the subsequent
rulemaking process, ACM recommended that the anti-circumvention provisions
of the legislation be revised to restrict only circumvention directly
involved in infringement.  We further elucidated other flaws of the Act,
including:

* failure to permit circumvention for "fair-use" purposes is inconsistent
with the fundamentals of copyright law and deters individuals from
conducting bona fide forms of science and technology research that is
fundamental to innovation;

* exempting encryption research from the anti-circumvention provisions is
too limited as the majority of computer security research does not involve
encryption;

* permitting reverse engineering for the sole purpose of interoperability
may criminalize development of software engineering tools and technology
with other uses; and,

* anti-circumvention exemptions that permit circumvention to obtain
authorized access to a work are meaningless if access mechanisms and tools
cannot be used to do so.

Unfortunately, our concerns were not satisfactorily addressed as the DMCA
was enacted or as the implementation rules were promulgated.  As a result,
scientists are now finding themselves in a position where they must consult
attorneys to determine if their previously legitimate research might be in
violation of the DMCA.  In some instances, the threat of legal action under
the DMCA has deterred scientists from publishing scholarly work or even
publicly discussing their research.  Certain foreign scientists and
international members of ACM have indicated they will not attend
conferences in the U.S. while the law is in force.  We are clearly seeing
evidence that the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA have proven to
have a chilling effect on U.S. scientific and research enterprise.

While we recognize that the AAP works to protect the interests of book and
journal publishers by advocating strong copyright protection in digital
environments, we urge you to recognize the distinction between
circumvention for the purpose of obtaining unauthorized access to a work
and circumvention for the purpose of making a non-infringing use of a
work.  In addition, we would hope you would agree that absent some clear
criminal intent, technologists should not be penalized for conducting
research that is crucial to developing and testing copyright protection
systems, security software, and better software engineering tools.

In light of your recent release indicating support for the
anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA, we respectfully inquire if the
AAP shares the concerns that ACM and other professional societies and
research leaders have expressed regarding the Act's chilling effect on
research and scientific freedom?

We look forward to your reply.  Please contact Jeff Grove, Director of the
ACM Public Policy Office at (202) 659-9711, if you have any questions or
wish to discuss our concerns.

Sincerely,

Barbara Simons, Ph.D.
Eugene H. Spafford, Ph.D.

Co-Chairs
U.S. ACM Public Policy Committee (USACM)
Association for Computing Machinery

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/