Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Britain's sad decline of liberty a warning for U.S.: Dan Gillmor on Technology Thu Jul 05 15:15:09 EDT 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 21:28:53 -0400

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:08:42 -0700
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: david_m_barrett () yahoo com

Mr. Barrett is not alone in wondering why some people are so concerned
about their privacy.  While many are aware of the tremendous prices
that some have paid in oppressive (and even non-oppresive) states due
to lack of privacy and surveilance, most people pragmatically feel that
these oppressive regimes are either in the past, or not an issue for
those in the free world, not when compared to safety from crime.

There is a great hidden cost to surveilance, however, and it is a
cost paid by everyone.   When we feel we are being watched we, feel
less free.  We censor ourselves, and refrain from otherwise perfectly
legal activities, when we feel that our activities might be being watched,
or worse, recorded either for the government or for the general public,
or worst of all, our mothers.

I include our mothers because I expect all of us understand the freedom
one feels away from even our own families.  Not that we're doing anything
wrong.  Just that when we're watched we want to meet other's expectations.

In other words, we're all a bit shy.

Cameras everywhere make us feel our public lives are being documented.
We've never minded the random strangers who might see us on the urban
street.  We do mind the idea that goverments and companies and others
might be making systematic recordings.  When we are watched we are not
free to be ourselves.

That doesn't shut down what everybody approves of, but it does chill
the counterculture, and those ready to explore.  These explorers are
vital to a healthy society.

Oddly, this happens even if the cameras aren't on, or if what they
see is only available to "trusted" officials.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/