Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: On the passing of Susan Calcari

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:41:44 -0400

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:39:44 -0400
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)
From: Jean Armour Polly <mom () netmom com>
Subject: On the passing of Susan Calcari

Susan Calcari lost her long battle with breast cancer on Sunday July 8,
2001. Her services will be today on Madison, WI. More information about
Susan is available from the Internet Scout Project pages
http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/ The Internet Scout newsletter is a weekly
publication, published every Friday since 1994. It is funded by the
National Science Foundation and has over 100,000 readers.

As a former public librarian, former ISP Internet evangelist, and author,
I witnessed Susan's long standing and deep commitment to Internet resource
discovery and delivery projects.

She labored in these vineyards since at least 1989, when she did the early
(and now almost legendary)  Merit Networking seminars. She went on to
other projects, most notably the National Science Foundation's Internet
Scout Project and its constellation of  spin-offs, such as the KIDS Report.

At early networking conferences, we used to joke that "there was never a
line at the ladies room," since in those days the attendees were mostly
men. Susan was one of the original "net-dot-babes," and her wide grin and
good humor enlivened many a meeting.

While others built networks, Susan figured out how to exploit the
information hiding out there on the servers. She knew how to find content
people needed, and arrange it so that it could be used to advantage.

She will be very, very sorely missed, not only by me but by her many
friends and colleagues around the world. My sympathies go out to her family.

In Madison she once showed me where she was taking sailing lessons and
spoke of how much she enjoyed it and how freeing the experience of sailing
was for her.

Whether sailing the lake or cruising the Internet, I guess I will always
think of her at the tiller, running with the wind.

Jean Armour Polly
Net-mom

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/