Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: NYPost Op-Ed on Ohio Man Convicted For "Obscene" Stories

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:39:34 -0400

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 15:31:06 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Ari Ollikainen <Ari () olteco com>
Subject: Re: IP: NYPost Op-Ed on Ohio Man Convicted For "Obscene" Stories

        "1984" has come true!!! Dalton was committed of a thoughtcrime...

        Be afraid, be VERY afraid.

Comment from Dave Farber

For my upcoming visit and lecture at Microsoft Research in Redmond, I was
asked to answer 5 questions for inclusion in their announcement. Two of
them were  (and my answers)

3.  What book must every Microsoft employee read?

Two books: The first is Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson. Why? Besides being a
very entertaining book, it describes a future which the technology of
computing and the network is eventually leading us to. It raises, hidden in
the entertainment , a set of social issues that us technologists must
answer about the future world we are creating. It also establishes a goal
for a set of technology that can in fact completely change our nation and
culture. Read it between the lines.

The second book is 1984 by Orwell. Old and unfortunately more and more
relevant as we create the technological capabilities of providing a future
Big Brother with all the tools to create that world. Another case where we
can learn the negative consequences of our technology and hopefully try to
make sure it "does not happen here"

5.  If you could give to only one charity, what would it be and why?

The ACLU. I am a firm believer in the power of our form of government to
bring "life , liberty and the pursuit  of happiness " to a world which has
had a lack of all of these. In order for us to spread this to the future,
we must preserve our rights in a world made much more complicated by very
technology we have developed. This is not a political issue of left vs
right but rather the heart of what has made this nation what it is. It
would be a shame if having "won" the cold war, we become more like our
opponents were. The pressures are there and we need to defend
others  rights even if it is painful for us to do so.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/