Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: solutions to stopping those Really Annoying X10 "pop-under" ads

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:11:26 -0400

To: "Dave E-mail Pamphleteer Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: solutions to stopping those Really Annoying X10 "pop-under" ads

Dave (& IP):

WSJ's Walt Mossberg devoted his column to this subject today,
here's a SNIP for it:

Looking for a Way to Dodge
Annoying Pop-Up Web Ads?
By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

--SNIP--

I've tried two programs that seem effective in stopping the pop-up windows,
including the X10-type pop-under windows. Both run in the background the
whole time you're on the Web, intercepting the annoying pop-ups.

One, called Pop-Up Stopper, is a free utility from PanicWare Inc. in Seattle
(http://www.panicware.com). It controls only pop-up windows. The other is an
excellent $29.95 program I've recommended before, called AdSubtract Pro,
from interMute Inc., in Braintree, Mass. (http://www.adsubtract.com). This
program not only turns off pop-up and pop-under windows, but it can stop
cookies, or let you review them, and strip all ads of any kind from Web
pages. It also keeps a log of blocked ads, cookies and pop-up windows, and
allows you to exempt whatever sites you like from the blocking process.

In my testing, both programs worked, but Pop-Up Stopper also blocks the
opening of many legitimate windows, and the opening of links from within
e-mail, unless you hold down the shift or control keys. AdSubtract had this
effect much less often.

--SNIP--

http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB992465284533105104.htm
(WSJ Interactive $ubscription required)