Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: "Political Dynamite" Fails to Explode: Extreme proposals of Treasury'sO'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 02:36:14 -0400

From: "Nathan Cochrane" <nathan_cochrane () hotmail com>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: IP: Re: "Political Dynamite" Fails to Explode: Extreme proposals
of Treasury'sO'
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 04:02:18 -0000

Hi Dave

Although not wishing to get into a tit for tat argument, I thought a
response might provide clarity. Feel free not to put it to the list if its
not worthy of the bandwidth.

I never said the GST is "inherently evil". I said it was "hated", and it is.

There's no doubt the system has been a shambles. The problem is a GST
tends towards a shambles. It requires virtually every man, woman and child
to be a sophisticated tax collector for the government. That takes the
responsibility away from a few, big enterprises and puts it in the hands
of millions of people, most of whom don't have the wherewithal to
understand the system and never will.

You are asking 20 million people potentially, most who can't stop their
VCRs flashing "12:00", to overnight become tax agents. That's a structural
problem that cannot be overcome.

The GST is part of the "New Tax System"; but most of the rest of the
system is constructed to support the unworkable edifice of the GST. It's
not simple, it's bloody difficult.

For instance, if you want to be musician in a weekend band, you have to
have a global identification number (Australian Business Number). The idea
is to stamp out the black economy. Businesses can't claim tax  credits for
buying from other businesses or contractors without also getting the ABN.

Problem is, the biggest black market economy is not B2B, it's when
businesses sell to consumers. Such businesses are usually service
providers, with few inputs, and the consumer has no reason to require an
ABN and so the tax office never knows about the transaction. So the
babysitter, cleaner, and lawn mower man just got 10 per cent pay rises
because they can charge the GST without ever remitting it, or offer 10 per
cent discounts for cash. And the black economy flourishes.

The notion that if you consume more goods you should pay more tax is fine,
until you realise that wealthy individuals just re-invent themselves as
enterprises and evade the tax. Meanwhile, the regressive nature of the tax
hits those least able to pay: the poor and elderly. Perversely, the
charities established to help these people are also caught up in the GST
net, less able to help those in need at exactly the time when their
services are most needed.

And lets not forget that the biggest consumers of goods and services,
harbors of wealth and polluters are corporations. Why should they not pay
their way?

IMHO what we now have in Australia is the most taxed economy in the world
that delivers the least services from government. I don't mind being taxed
to a pauper if I get treated like a king. But 60 per cent of my income
goes in taxes, while I get nothing from the government. A corporation
would likely leave a country if that happened to its shareholders, so why
should I be treated any less?

Our new tax system has the federal government levying taxes on other tiers
of government, and these taxes are then added to the levies and fees those
tiers charge citizens.

For instance, GST applies on stamp duty paid for houses. Stamp duty is a
tax levied by a state government and can be up to nearly 10 per cent of
the value of the house, depending on how it is calculated.

The top rate of income tax, with (two) Medicare levies, superannuation
taxes, gun buy-back levy, higher education contribution scheme (government
loans for tertiary study) and various other taxes comes to about half what
someone earns. The top rate of tax cuts in at less than $US30,000. After
that, add the 10 per cent GST, various government cost-shifting exercises
and degradation of services such as health, pensions, and education and
the picture gets much worse.

Dave, you will be here in a few months. Have a look around and speak to
people and see what their opinions are. Maybe things will change after
these "teething problems" are ironed out.

I doubt it.

cheers

As an economist, I felt it necessary to place the comments of Mr. Cochrane
in some perspective.

The GST, in itself, it not inherently evil (much as we would like to make
it out to be). There is a very fine economic argument for the
implementation of a GST - individuals who consume more goods and services
should pay more tax, and this form of taxation is far broader and
infinitely harder to dodge, not to mention its contribution to promoting
greater equity.

However, what is happening is that governments are taking a good idea and
getting the implementation all wrong. Ideally, the GST should replace
income taxation entirely - and if the economic calculus is done right,
there should be no significant changes in the tax burden faced by
individuals. Obviously, reality is not that simple, due to differences in
preferences and lifestyles between consumers, and the unwillingness of
governments to completely forgo income taxation.

However, even granted these variances, there shouldn't be major changes in
the taxes paid by individuals. This is obviously not happening is
Australia, at least on the basis of anecdotal evidence. It has somehow
failed in its homework, or has intentionally done so to enrich its coffers
(for which, if true, they will likely pay the price at the next elections).

I would argue that this failure to correctly implement the GST is not
inherent in the theory itself. As a counterexample, consider the case of
Singapore, which implemented a GST system some time in the 1990s. As part
of the tax reform package, it slashed income taxes at all levels, and
imposed a small 3 per cent GST. Despite the initial fears, most
Singaporeans do not now suffer from an increased tax burden, nor are they
clamouring that the government has 'mugged the economy'.

Hence, rather than instinctively striking out at the failure of the
programme in Australia, perhaps we should also look at why it failed. Was
it due to negligence on the part of those who planned the tax? Or is it
simply a matter of teething problems, due to unanticipated realities in
implementation? And how fast is the Australian government working to remedy
this problem?

As a final note, the OECD does maintain a blacklist of known 'tax havens',
and as a matter of fact, these countries are in the midst of an ongoing
struggle with the OECD. See the FT article reprinted here:

http://www.globalpolicy.org/nations/haven/2001/0117truc.htm

You can view the OECD tax haven report to ministers here:

http://www.oecd.org//daf/fa/harm_tax/Report_En.pdf

Hope this clarifies the issue.

----
Jamus Jerome Lim