Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The Wireless Underground / San Francisco's Free Computer Networks

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:12:37 -0500

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:37:47 -0600
From: John Shaffer <jshaffer () silverbacksystems com>

Dave,

If you havn't heard yet, thought you (IP) might be interested in
this.  Just posted on slashdot.

john

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/technology/archive/2001/03/22/freewireless.dtl
--
Dr. John H.
Shaffer

<http://www.sfgate.com>SF Gate Home
<http://www.sfgate.com/news/>Today's News
<http://www.sfgate.com/sports/>Sports
<http://www.sfgate.com/eguide/>Entertainment
<http://www.sfgate.com/technology/>Technology
<http://www.sfgate.com/liveviews/>Live Views
<http://www.sfgate.com/traffic/>Traffic
<http://www.sfgate.com/weather/>Weather
<http://www.sfgate.com/health/>Health
<http://www.sfgate.com/business/>Business
<http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/>Bay Area Travel
<http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/>Columnists
Classifieds
<http://www.sfgate.com/conferences/>Conferences
<http://www.sfgate.com/search/>Search
<http://www.sfgate.com/index/>Index

<http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/sf.gate/tech;abr=!ie;sect=tech__art_topban;zip=;kw=locart+TEC;width=468;height=60;sz=468x60;ord=83544?>

The Wireless Underground
San Francisco's Free Computer Networks

<mailto:feedback () sfgate com>Annalee Newitz, Special to SF Gate   Thursday,
March 22, 2000

San Francisco, California, USA -- With a wireless ethernet card, a laptop
and some basic software savvy, you can get on the Internet for free from
almost anywhere in downtown San Francisco. In fact, you can get a lot more
than free Web surfing. You can waltz unhindered into dozens of corporate
networks and access passwords, databases and private e-mail.

"We walked around the Financial District with a laptop and an antenna, and
we could pick up about six networks per block," says Matt Peterson, a
network engineer and founder of the <http://www.bawug.org>Bay Area
Wireless User Group (BAWUG).

He described a simple experiment he and a fellow BAWUG member performed to
see just how easy it would be to find the locator beacons, or radio
signals, for unprotected wireless networks downtown. "I was doing random
things like aiming the antenna at the 18th floor of various buildings, and
boom, I'd be sniffing somebody's corporate network. "Peterson laughs
incredulously, adding, "I thought it was just a rumor that you could do
that, but it's not."

The price of creating an 802.11b network -- a satisfyingly fast protocol
for wireless ethernet -- has come down so much over the past several
months that over-eager consumers are setting them up at work and at home
with very little regard for security. Partly because the technology is so
immature, built-in security measures are fairly primitive. Also, as an
anonymous San Francisco hacker told me sardonically, "Lots of people just
don't know how to set up a wireless network, so they make mistakes."

For example, many tech workers who want mobility will plug a wireless
access point into their company network, creating a bridge between the
company's wired network and wireless devices. Once the access point is in
place, they can take their laptops to the park across the street and still
have instant access. But, as network security expert
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~iang/>Ian Goldberg commented, "What you have
to remember with wireless is that anyone within radio range can read
(data) packets from your network."

Such mistakes are understandable when so much wireless technology is built
to be as open and user-friendly as possible. Often, a wireless access
point comes out of the box configured to allow anyone with a wireless card
to interface with it. And Mac iBooks with built-in wireless cards
automatically search for a network the instant a user boots up. As a
result, a tech-saturated city such as San Francisco is riddled with
hundreds of unintentionally open wireless networks.

What's surprising is that very few people -- aside from the usual black
hat hackers -- seem to be abusing these vulnerable networks. Rather than
stealing bandwidth or private data from clueless 802.11b newbies, wireless
mavens are taking advantage of the openness of this new technology to set
up their own, deliberately public wireless networks.

BAWUG member Cliff Skolnick has even posted a
<http://www.toaster.net/wireless/aplist.php>list of wireless networks that
are intended for the public's free use on the BAWUG Web site. This list
includes the <http://www.toaster.net/wireless/>802.11b network he recently
set up at his house, which has become a convenient resource for people who
boot up their wireless-endowed laptops at the Martha's Coffeeshop in his
neighborhood.

"I set it up so I could drink coffee and have a connection," says
Skolnick, "and then several people found it by accident. I've gotten lots
of e-mails from people thanking me for it."

<http://www.shirky.com>Clay Shirky, a well-known open source pundit and
partner with New York investment firm Accelerator Group, is thrilled by
all this network openness. "I'm not worried about security, because
security and convenience are always a tradeoff," he explains. A more
interesting issue for Shirky is an economic one: "Wireless technology is
easier to provide to a group than to individuals, so the question is
whether businesses and municipalities should go into providing 802.11b
networks."

Shirky isn't referring to services such as San Francisco's Ricochet, a
wireless Internet access network provider from San Jose's
<http://www.metricom.com>Metricom. He wants to know whether citizens will
be given free or subsidized wireless access, as if it were a municipal
utility like water. He muses, "In New York, we have laws that give zoning
variances for skyscrapers in return for creating public spaces. These
public spaces could easily include 802.11b networks."

Currently, San Francisco has no plans to make wireless a public utility.
Indeed, Denise Brady, deputy director of San Francisco's
Telecommunications Commission, had never heard of public wireless
networks. "I don't see a need for it," she said simply. "We're at the top
end of the scale in terms of market attractiveness here, so we have
commercial services like AT&T's new cable system to provide for us." In
other words, San Francisco's official position is that for now wireless
users will have to content themselves with services such as Ricochet.

There's still hope, however. Grassroots groups in several other major
cities have already started community-based public wireless networks:
<http://www.seattlewireless.net>Seattle Wireless, Portland's
<http://www.pdxwireless.org>Pdx Wireless and London's
<http://www.consume.net>Consume are three of the best-known.

A more capitalistic venture is the Starbucks-Microsoft deal announced in
January of this year, which may lead to wireless access for customers in
Starbucks coffee shops. In a similar vein, San Francisco's
<http://www.surfandsip.com>Surf and Sip helps businesses set up public
wireless networks for their clientele.

But the fact remains that many San Francisco geeks with 802.11b cards are
getting Internet access for free just by poking around and looking for an
open network.

This begs the question of what companies and individuals can do if they
don't want their networks to be open. Security expert Goldberg explained
that Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP), the most common form of wireless
security, hasn't been tested nearly enough to be foolproof.

He suggests that if you want your 802.11b network to be secure, the best
thing to do is configure your access point to be outside your firewall.
That way, people with wireless ethernet cards might be able to find your
access point, but they still have to pass through the firewall's security
gate to gain access to the private network.

For now, however, most of San Francisco's wireless networks are open to
the public. It reminds Skolnick of the early days of the Internet, when
people would give each other connections for free. Among wireless users
today, he says, "Most people generally just don't mind sharing."

Of course, he warns, you can't expect things to stay this way forever.
"It's nice to think of wireless as being free anywhere, but soon you're
going to see it getting more and more commercialized." And it will
probably be more secure, too.

<mailto:tabloid () jps net>Annalee Newitz is a freelance writer in San
Francisco. Find out all the gory details at
<http://www.techsploitation.com>www.techsploitation.com.

  · Printer-friendly version
· Email this article to a friend

CURRENTLY:

Gate Tech exclusives:

The Wireless Underground San Francisco's Free Computer Networks
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/went/msglist?forum=techlocal&msgPerPage=25&postnum=>(talk
board)

Culture Rave SFMOMA Working The Technology Angle Overtime

The Spy Who Hacked Me Will Open Source Be The Hero Of International Security?
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/went/msglist?forum=techexpound&msgPerPage=25&postnum=>(talk
board)

Buying The Grid Gov. Davis' Plan Puts Taxpayers on the Wrong Side of
Future Technologies
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/went/msglist?forum=techbeat&msgPerPage=25&postnum=>(talk
board)

Pac Bell Hell DSL Customer Complaints Are Legion But Options Are Limited
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/went/msglist?forum=techlocal&msgPerPage=25&postnum=>(talk
board)

The DSL Debacle In This Numbers Game, The Figures Don't Add Up
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/went/msglist?forum=techexpound&msgPerPage=25&postnum=>(talk
board)

ReplayTV vs. TiVo How One Little Button Could Wipe Out Commercial Television
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/went/msglist?forum=techbeat&msgPerPage=25&postnum=>(talk
board)

Sex, Drugs and a Career, Too As Long As Techies Produce, Who Cares What
Else They Do?
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/went/msglist?forum=techlocal&msgPerPage=25&postnum=>(talk
board)

The Quiet Life Technology, Noise and Us