Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Software Engineering, Dijkstra, and Hippocrates: ]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 09:04:22 -0400

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 00:23:45 -0700
From: John David Galt <jdg () diogenes sacramento ca us>

Brad Cox writes:

In it, he states "I would therefore like to posit that computing's
central
challenge 'How not to make a mess of it,' has *not* been met."

[It's] worse even than that. We haven't even started down the road that
mechanical or civil engineers followed to achieve their vaunted
maturity. We don't even seem to think that this road is even
applicable to software engineering. I'm referring to Open Source and
the angst on this list whenever someone proposes to take intellectual
property rights seriously.

Imagine a Honda engineer proposing to mine his own ore and refine his
own steel, or a civil engineer proposing a new home-brewed kind of
concrete. But building from first principles is routine for "software
engineers". Why? Being made of bits and not atoms, software can be
copied so easily it undercuts the market economics that underlie the
maturity of other domains.

Building from first principles, or as I like to call it, reinventing the
wheel, isn't something software engineers want to do.  We're FORCED to do
it PRECISELY BECAUSE our current intellectual-property laws don't allow
us to take and reuse the tried-and-true techniques of our forebears.

Powerful special interests have extended the term of copyright to lengths
that are ridiculous for software.  Almost all software written 20 years
ago is obsolete and disused, but it'll be protected by copyright for 70
more years, if it isn't extended again!  On top of that, software
publishers make dubious claims of licensing and trade secrets (which they
now want the law to recognize via UCITA) to prevent such reuse even after
their copyrights expire.  And worst of all, they now have DMCA which makes
most reverse engineering tools (decompilers and the like) illegal!

The world wouldn't stop turning if these rights were cut back to 20 or 30
years.  Microsoft and its competitors wouldn't even go out of business.
But debugged, improved, and unbloated knockoffs of their older products
would start to appear on store shelves, and I think we'd all be better off.

Copyright and other forms of intellectual property were not created in
order to benefit publishing companies.  They were created to get more
innovative works into the hands of the public, and I feel they would serve
that goal better if they were cut way back.

And until this reform occurs, if it ever does, the open-source movement
(preferably without the anti-commercial bias of the GPL) is the only good
source of "raw materials" available to those of us outside the companies
sitting on those hoards of old code.

John David Galt
Software Engineer

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/