Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Clay Shirky's analysis of Microsoft Hailstorm

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:31:48 -0400

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:01:42 -0700
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim () oreilly com>

Clay Shirky has a very interesting article on Hailstorm on OpenP2P.com,
at http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/05/30/hailstorm.html

He looks especially at how MS mixes decentralization and open access on
the client side with strong control of third party development and user
data. He explains how we should think of it as an
authentication-centric, rather than hardware-centric system.

I'm the publisher of openp2p.com, but I'm just speaking as a reader when
I say that this is one of the most insightful
technology-as-business-strategy analyses I've ever read.  And it's very
topical, since the development of the next generation "internet
operating system" is one of the key computer industry battlegrounds
right now.

--
101 Morris Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1 707-829-0515, FAX +1 707-829-0104