Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Thieves R Us

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 07:20:02 -0400

Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:05:45 +1000
From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochrane () theage fairfax com au>

Here, here.

FYI
http://www.it.mycareer.com.au/news/2001/05/08/FFXRSN74FMC.html
But even while it has file sharing of digital media to thank for its
revenues, Seagate, along with other  hard-drive makers such as IBM,
plans to lock out what it sees as unauthorised distribution of
electronic data.
 Hard-drive makers have thrown in with copyright holders such as the
Recording Industry Association of America and Motion Picture
Association, to fight piracy. In the near future it is likely that your
hard drive will refuse to store information obtained without the digital
consent of the copyright holder.
 "In the past, wherever you've seen changes in (the) way people consume
entertainment, there are risks," Pait says.
 "What we're doing from a standards standpoint is to see where that
balance is, to develop encryption standards that will work across all
makers' drives. In America we continue to have these debates over the
exact issue.
 "Seagate wants to be part of the discussion and then see how much
encryption is good enough to protect the rights of record companies and
those of consumers."
 Pait claims that this does not erode the public's right to "fair use" -
the copying of copyrighted texts for educational, research or critical
purposes - but it is not supported by the Electronic Frontier
Foundation. It says earlier battles over videotape recording are being
re-fought in the digital age.
 Last month it fought off an attempt to create a standard that "tethers"
files to the hard drive that created them.
 EFF intellectual property attorney Robin Gross says: "Under the guise
of protecting copyright, the industry is attempting to kill fair use and
effectively prevent works from passing into the public domain - two of
copyright's primary goals."