Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Gingrich says National ID card won't fly

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:42:22 -0500

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-national-id-card1116nov16.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dnation%2Dheadlines
November 16, 2001, 5:43 PM EST

WASHINGTON -- Newt Gingrich and other former Republican lawmakers predicted Friday that a new national identification card system will probably never become a reality despite the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"It's a dead end. It won't happen," Gingrich told a House Government Reform subcommittee.

Talking about national IDs smacks of Nazism and "Big Brother" in people's minds, and Congress will not have the political support to get it through, said former Sen. Alan Simpson, R-Wy. "You use the words 'national ID,' it's over," he said.

Indeed, former Rep. Bill McCollum, R-Fla., called a new all-encompassing national identification system "offensive" and said it "contradicts some of our most sacrosanct American principles of personal liberty and expectations of privacy and is far in excess of what is needed to provide us with the security and protections we all want.

snip

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/