Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Wanna make biological weapons and take out cities? $10.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:37:50 -0500

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:58:28 -0600
From: gep2 () terabites com
Subject: Wanna make biological weapons and take out cities?  $10.
To: dallasdemocrats () egroups com, dave () farber net

Here's a disturbing story from today's New York Times:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/21/national/21BOOK.html?todaysheadlines

I sure hope that the government is investigating and following each and every
person who buys a copy of this book... I wonder if there's a way to force
Tobiason to foot the bill for that security?

In any case, jerks like this clearly aren't helping to keep our nation secure... if anything, crap like this will make our government MORE repressive (not less).

[quote]

November 21, 2001

THE HOW-TO BOOK
In Utah, a Government Hater Sells a Germ-Warfare Book

By PAUL ZIELBAUER with WILLIAM J. BROAD

SALT LAKE CITY, Nov. 19 — At the "Crossroads of the West" gun show here last
weekend, weapons dealers sold semi- automatic rifles and custom-made pistols,
and ammunition wholesalers unloaded bullets by the case. But perhaps the most
fearsome weapon for sale in the cavernous, crowded exposition center was a book.

Next to the Indian handicraft booth, Timothy W. Tobiason was selling printed and
CD copies of his book, "Scientific Principles of Improvised Warfare and Home
Defense Volume 6-1: Advanced Biological Weapons Design and Manufacture," a
germ-warfare cookbook that bioterrorism experts say is accurate enough to be
dangerous.

Mr. Tobiason, an agricultural-chemicals entrepreneur from Nebraska with a bitter hatred for the government, said he sold about 2,000 copies of his self-published
book a year as he moved from gun show to gun show across America. The book,
which includes directions for making "mail delivered" anthrax, suggests that the knowledge necessary to start an anthrax attack like the one that has terrorized
the East Coast is readily accessible.

<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/