Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 30th anniversary of Norjak

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:50:17 -0500

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 10:38:31 -0800
Subject: 30th anniversary of Norjak
From: Paul Saffo <psaffo () iftf org>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

Thirty years ago today, a hijacker calling himself Dan Cooper parachuted out
of a northwest 727 and into history. He hijacked NW 305, and forced it back
to Seattle. There he swapped its 36 passengers for $200,000 ransom and four
parachutes. He then forced NW305 back into the air and after instructing the
crew to fly to Mexico, jumped out the tail door somewhere over southern
Washington. He was never seen again, and the money --10,000 marked $20s--
never turned up, except for a small cache that eroded out of a riverbank in
the forests near the Columbia river a decade later.

The FBI concluded that Cooper died in the jump, but the case, labeled
"Norjak" in FBI files, was never closed. And whatever his fate, Cooper lived
on as a folk legend.  D.B.Cooper (the name changed through a reporting
error) became the subject of several books( one titled: "Skyjacker's Guide:
or Please Hold this Bomb While I go to the Bathroom") , a country western
song, a movie, and apparently, even a restaurant or two. Unswayed by the
Robin Hood romantics, lead FBI agent, Ralph Himmelsbach described him more
bluntly as a "rotten, sleazy crook." (see his authoritative book, "Norjak:
The investigation of D.B. Cooper")

And Cooper achieved a sort of immortality in the changes his case triggered
in the aviation industry. The 727's tail door was redesigned so it couldn't
be opened in flight, by addition of a device known to this day as the
"Cooper vane." In the months following Cooper's midnight jump, the
International Airline Pilots Association held a 24 hour work stoppage to
call attention to the need for heightened aircraft security. Congress was
urged to ratify an international convention providing for the extradition
and severe punishment of hijackers. In February 1972, the FAA promulgated
regulations requiring mandatory passenger screening after a survey indicated
that less than 40 percent of passengers at the country's 10 largest airports
were being screened through magnetometers. Just as the events of September
11th have led to huge lines at airport security checkpoints, back in the
early '70s, passengers were forced to stand in interminable lines awaiting
exasperating hand searches (after my third such search in one day at
Franfkurt airport recently, I resigned myself to thinking of them as
police-administered shiatsu).  Magnetometer screening was thus a welcome
innovation not only for its greater reliability, but also it's speed. And
the then-infant Sky Marshall program was greatly expanded.

Rumors about Cooper continue to this day.  The cash turned up in 1980, and
then in August 2000, US News broke the story that the widow of a Florida
antique dealer named Duane Weber received a death-bed confession form her
husband that he was Dan Cooper.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/doubleissue/mysteries/cooper.htm
The US News story is a compelling bow-knot to this three decade old tale,
but the cash remains a mystery.  And so does Cooper.

But after the horrific events of September 11th, one thing is certain.  The
skyjacking that seemed so terrible in 1971 now strikes one as almost quaint,
a throw-back to a time when skyjackers acted with some measure of restraint
and were motivated by goals that we could comprehend even as we condemned
them. Oh, for such simpler and more innocent times....
-p

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/